Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another Day! Another Gun!

Legacy 3/23
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 162/8
    Given: 5/1
    Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    But 22s and 30-30 are ok there? The point pondered was why the rifles would be allowed and not the pistol since the rifles are more powerful at a longer range...especially the 30-30
    Isn't it great when people don't bother to understand what you were talking about or read your posts and just jump to conclusions? Yeah, enjoy being UT's friend.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/1
    Given: 1/1
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkED View Post
    A S&W SD9 w/ laser sight will be mine as soon as I an extra $500 to throw down.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...0901_01_md.jpg

Was also thinking about a S&W SW9VE. It's a Glock clone, but a good one. Same ammo and capacity as the SD9, and a bit cheaper. But no extras and no safety.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...0025_01_md.jpg

That is a piece of shit of a gun it's an upgraded sigma.

Look at the m&p its a much better gun.

Another Day Another Gun! What should I get Next?!

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 13/0
    Given: 15/2
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsvein View Post
    Well I sold my Sig P238 .380 and decided to get a 1911.

Ruger SR1911

Attachment 62232
    Is this the one Wolfsvein's kid will accidentally shoot them self with? Stay tuned to this thread to find out!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0
    Given: 0/0
    That is a piece of shit of a gun it's an upgraded sigma.

Look at the m&p its a much better gun.
    Maybe I will, but the Sigma and SD9 constantly get good reviews from experienced gun owners. They're considered to be two of the best pistols you can buy for under $1,000.

Legacy 3/23
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
    Is this the one Wolfsvein's kid will accidentally shoot them self with? Stay tuned to this thread to find out!
    Isn't it great when people don't bother to understand what you were talking about or read your posts and just jump to conclusions? Yeah, enjoy being Whisper's friend.

Legacy 3/23
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevina View Post
    I want a pistol, but don't feel like going through all the hassle. Plus I'm not sure where to go to shoot. I shoot my rifles and shotgun in the back yard but I don't think you can shoot pistols...:/
    If you want to shoot your brand new pistol, your unsafest bet is to go to the poor neighborhood and shoot car thieves for fun.
    Kidding of course.
    Is your yard taboo for pistols for not for shotguns? Care to explain?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Your getting ripped if you are paying that much for a pistol I bought my M&P for $500.

Legacy 3/23
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Archeron View Post
    You're shooting/holding it wrong if a slide bites you on any pistol. Sorry. I mean, true story. Some people over grip the pistol grip because the thought is muscling the gun is how you control it which causes the fat/skin from the index finger to the thumb to sit too high on the rear of the grip which causes the slide to rake the hand or bite it.

That "knee" is necessary for the beavertail safety. You're right though, the entire design is for shooter/hand protection and so you don't accidentally shoot someone.
    I don't disagree at all that I'm likely holding it wrong. As I said, I don't know much about pistols. Nobody's ever showed me. Given my improper grip, tho, I can see where the "knee" would help prevent the bite.

Legacy 3/23
    Thumbs Up/Down
    OK all you pistol experts, I have a question. Every time I've shot a pistol the recoil always makes the bullet strike higher than what you're aiming at. That's simply enough to understand why, and thus you have to compensate relative to the gun. You have to learn the gun ... correct ?

My question is, why are pistols designed such that the barrel is above the natural fulcrum point when you grip it ? Is this simply legacy design? Wouldn't it be much better to have the barrel directly in front of the grip rather than on top, and thus the recoil wouldn't have the means to pivot the gun ( as much ) before the bullet exited ?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 6/0
    Your getting ripped if you are paying that much for a pistol I bought my M&P for $500.
    Not saying I found an M&P for that much, just saying.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkED View Post
    Not saying I found an M&P for that much, just saying.
    If you want of an idea about 9mm take a look at this sight.

http://www.best9mm.com/

I would rather you look at a Ruger SR9 the reason being I owned the Sigma before and I personally can tell you that they are shit. That was my first firearm I purchased because I didn't want to spend $500 dollars on the gun but I hated the gun after shooting it. It has a very long and heavy trigger pull even worse than a wheel gun.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/1

Thumbs Up/Down
    Sig's make good guns that has been slated as Sig's OK gun for the price it's a good gun. The internal are that come into question by Pistol Experts it not as Accurate as there P226 but for a self defensive gun it's good not something you would want to shoot all day far target practice.

That price it's a hell lot better then the S&W sigma.

If you want something even smaller for carry look at the Ruger LC9. I do own several Ruger and do love Sig's but the price of most sigs are to expensive for the average person.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 59/11
    Given: 158/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    OK all you pistol experts, I have a question. Every time I've shot a pistol the recoil always makes the bullet strike higher than what you're aiming at. That's simply enough to understand why, and thus you have to compensate relative to the gun. You have to learn the gun ... correct ?

My question is, why are pistols designed such that the barrel is above the natural fulcrum point when you grip it ? Is this simply legacy design? Wouldn't it be much better to have the barrel directly in front of the grip rather than on top, and thus the recoil wouldn't have the means to pivot the gun ( as much ) before the bullet exited ?
    So... recoil has something to do with striking higher but one of the reasons you are shooting slightly higher than where your sights are is that you are most likely squeezing the trigger rather than pulling the trigger. Many people make the mistake of wrapping their finger around the trigger rather than setting the tip section of the finger on the wide face side of the trigger. When you squeeze the trigger your hand naturally turns slightly to the left or right depending on handedness which turns the gun before the trigger ever actually fires the gun depending on the length of the pull and trigger weight etc. Anyway... that's basically how I remember the why.

A good way to practice a completely smooth trigger pull is to place a dime on the front sight of a pistol you are okay with dry firing or a replica/airsoft gun with a similar trigger weight and pull length and practice not making the dime fall while maintaining the muscular control of your upper arm, forearm, and palm as if to handle the recoil of a real round being fired.

Oh on the point of having the chamber and barrel in front of the handle rather than above the handle/hand... aiming isn't easily accomplished as you can't aim down the barrel directly parallel to the bullet path like on a normal pistol. The sights would look fucking stupid and drawing at a two handed stance... the concept of the handle(s)/trigger is baffling me. Also back to aiming in my mind the current normal design makes more sense in regard to control in the hand. Something sticking off the front of the hand seems it would be harder to control, especially if it had any weight.

Over all, depending on how you shoot, you want the pistol to have a decent balance. Things you can do to compensate one side versus the other is something like getting a weighted barrel to help compensate for the weight of the clip and the recoil.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Sig's make good guns that has been slated as Sig's OK gun for the price it's a good gun. The internal are that come into question by Pistol Experts it not as Accurate as there P226 but for a self defensive gun it's good not something you would want to shoot all day far target practice.

That price it's a hell lot better then the S&W sigma.

If you want something even smaller for carry look at the Ruger LC9. I do own several Ruger and do love Sig's but the price of most sigs are to expensive for the average person.
    I'm looking for something compact with a lot of rounds and that one looks nice. Have any suggestions?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
    I'm looking for something compact with a lot of rounds and that one looks nice. Have any suggestions?
    If you are planning to carry you have to take into consideration the size, weight, and where you are planning to carry. IWB (Inside Waist Band), Belt Holster, Ankle, Pocket, Belly Band.

You have to take into consideration the area you live in like Detroit you would want more rounds if you feel very comfortable and you want the piece of mind you carry less rounds. My thought is for comfort of carry you can get a thinner gun and carry an extra clip. Which would give you the same amount of rounds as the one you were looking at or more, and they are lighter to carry.

If you want something that looks good and is small with a lot of rounds, depends on if you want a striker fire or a hammer.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-2075-rami/ (Also has a 14 extended mag)
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2SW209304FC-1.html
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/76031
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/73391

Any of these are good guns and there are more expensive ones out there.

You could look at Keltec PF9, Ruger LC9....

I'm waiting on the Sig P938 when it comes out in June. I will probably be selling my CZ 2075 Rami BD then to get that pistol. My normal carry pistol was a Sig p238 or Kahr MK40. Since I sold my .380 it's my .40 cal 5+1 and a extra mag that make it 7 for a total of 13 rounds, and easy to carry pocket pistol.

I don't like IWB carry at all it is to uncomfortable for me to do. I carry holster or pocket. Never, Never carry in the small of the back if you fall you can break your back and become paralyzed. There are stories of this happening to a police officers.

Thumbs Up/Down
    I still think that Sig I posted seems best out of them, that CZ doesn't look bad, never heard of them though. Is that Sig not dependable? Only thing is it says no manual safety. Does that mean there is no safety for it? That might be bad.

Thumbs Up/Down
    That CZ is pretty expensive
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/11848

Is it really worth it? How dependable are they?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Hmm..

SIG 250C9B P250 9MM CMPT BL $361.00 SHIPS FREE http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/69735

No HK pistol has EVER flopped so bad that it sells brand new for 361.00 including shipping to FFL...

ATF has rejected the Sig P250 as Unreliable in its new agent handgun evaluation
    The ATF currently has a request for proposal ( RFP ) to switch to a new handgun for all of its agents. Sig Sauer submitted their new P250 pistol for this competition, but it was eliminated by the ATF from the competition after completion of the the first two stages of testing. Of the guns tested, only pistols from Glock and Smith & Wesson went forward to the stage 3 tests.

Sig Sauer filed an appeal with the ATF about the Sig P250 being eliminated early from the testing. However, the ATF has now rejected their appeal, and only S&W and Glock are going to the final evaluation stage.

In rejecting the Sig Sauer appeal, the ATF noted the following from their agent test results:

"11 of the 20 test shooters experienced stoppages with Sig Sauer's handguns--in some cases, as many as 10 stoppages."

The ATF simply found the Sig P250 to be too unreliable for the needs of their agency. If you want to read the full report denying Sig Sauer's appeal, you can do so here:
    U.S. GAO - B-402339.3, Sig Sauer, Inc., July 23, 2010 http://www.gao.gov/decisions/bidpro/4023393.htm

Thumbs Up/Down

Thread Information